Sunday, September 13, 2009

Matthew 6:19-22

I've been thinking about this scripture quite a bit lately and I have heard it used mostly in sermons pertaining to tithing or giving to the poor. Yet, as I read it over and over to myself, I don't feel that it is talking about "treasures" in the aspect solely of money, but that it is talking about other things in our lives. Yes, it could have something to do with material things, since it does say "where thieves can break in and steal" and that would be the obvious thoughts. However, I believe there is something deeper to this scripture, and felt I should share.

Matthew 6:19-22
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroy and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also."

Ok, I read the entire chapter before stopping at this one point, and I think it's important to see what was really being spoken about to set us up to this point. Matthew 6 is talking about our secret lives and relationship with the Lord. It's talking about our prayer life ("go into your room and when you have shut the door, pray to the Father who is in the secret place" verse 6) and our personal fasting rituals ("when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so you do not appear to men to be fasting" verse 17) and other aspects of our private relationship with the Lord. So why then would this scripture be preached as a "financial message"? It seems to me that our "treasures" are not meant to be material at all.

I believe the "treasures" being referred to here are actually those things of value to the Lord. Things like our wisdom and knowledge of the Word, our knowledge of and belief in the Lord, and His works, and of the love and relationship we have with Him. These are all things that can not be measured, eaten, ruined,destroyed, or stolen, but can only be found in heaven and through the knowledge and seeking of His Kingdom, His presence, and His desires for us.....just some food for thought.

The only way anything could happen to these "treasures" is if we allow the world to pull us away from the Lord, or if we allow the enemy to drive us astray and allow him to "steal" our joy and cloud our knowledge...but ultimately these "treasures" are ours for the taking, and can not be taken or destroyed without our permission.

1 comment:

  1. if you are having trouble with the comment feature or wish to comment privately, you can also use the email address created4destiny@gmail.com and leave your comments there. I will respond to them either way.

    ReplyDelete